Southampton Triathlon Club are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. For any personal data you provide for the purposes of your membership, Southampton Triathlon Club is the Data Controller and is responsible for storing and otherwise processing that data in a fair, lawful, secure and transparent way.
What personal data we hold on you
You may give us information about yourself by filling in forms at an event or online, or by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register with Southampton Triathlon Club. The information you give us may include:
- membership contract information ie: name, email, date of birth, address, telephone, emergency contact details.
- special categories of data such as gender, age, ethnic group, disability
- medical information
- competition data
Why we need your personal data
The reason we need your personal data is to be able to administer your membership, and provide the membership services you are signing up to when you register with Southampton Triathlon Club. Our lawful basis for processing your personal data is that we have a contractual obligation to you as a member to provide the services you are registering for.
Reasons we need to process your data include:
For membership and club management
- processing of membership forms and payments;
- sharing data with committee members to provide information about club activities, membership renewals or invitation to social events;
- club newsletter promoting club activity; and
- publishing of race and competition results
For training and competition entry
- sharing personal data with club coaches or officials to administer training sessions;
- sharing competition data with British Triathlon / Triathlon England to advise and guide members on qualification or grading
For funding and reporting purposes
- sharing anonymised data with a funding partner as condition of grant funding e.g. Local Authority;
- analysing anonymised data to monitor club trends; and
- sending an annual club survey to improve your experience as a club member
Who we share your personal data with
We may share your personal data with:
- British Triathlon / Triathlon England
- Sport England
- Cycling Time Trials
The reason for sharing your data is to highlight and encourage competitors to advance in the sport, or to apply for further funding to ensure the sport’s or club’s longevity, organising and publishing of race results.
As a member of Southampton Triathlon Club, you can choose be registered as a member of England Athletics (you will have to register with England Athletics if you ever compete for the STC under UKA rules (https://www.uka.org.uk/competitions/rules/)). We will provide England Athletics Limited with personal data (name, address, date of birth, email) which they will use to enable access to the MyAthletics portal. England Athletics Limited will contact you to invite you to sign into and update your MyAthletics portal record. You can set and amend your privacy settings from the MyAthletics portal. If you have any questions about the continuing privacy of your personal data when it is shared with England Athletics Limited, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We do not share information about members with anyone, except those mentioned above, without consent unless the law allow us to do so.
Collecting and Storing your personal data
The Club’s data processing requires your personal data to be transferred outside of the UK for the purpose of cloud hosting and newsletter communication. Where the Club does transfer your personal data overseas it is with the appropriate safeguards in place to ensure the security of that personal data.
Your personal data is collected, stored and processed via
- our website is housed by SquareSpace.com
- stored on a Google Drive sheet and
- on a password protected spreadsheet within the club Dropbox drive,
- MailChimp is used for newsletter communication,
- the processing of payments is done through TSB
- occasionally the club will send items (ie. parking permits) using Royal Mail
The organisations mentioned have their own privacy policies and the club does not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. See below links to privacy policies of the companies mentioned above.
- British Triathlon - https://www.britishtriathlon.org/about-us/governance/privacy-policy
- Triathlon England - https://www.triathlonengland.org/governance/privacy-policy
- England Athletics - https://www.englandathletics.org/search-this-site
- Sport England - https://www.sportengland.org/terms-and-conditions/
- Cycling Time Trials - https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/318
- SquareSpace - https://www.squarespace.com/privacy/
- Google - https://policies.google.com/privacy
- Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/en_GB/privacy
- MailChimp - https://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/
- TSB Bank - https://www.tsb.co.uk/privacy/
- Royal Mail - https://www.royalmail.com/privacy-policy/
Southampton Triathlon Club has a social media presence on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/policy.php). All members are free to join these pages. If you join our social media page, please note that provider of the social media platform(s) have their own privacy policies and that the club do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data on the club social media page.
How long we hold your personal data
We will hold your personal data on file for as long as you are a member with us.
Any personal data we hold on you will be securely destroyed after three months’ non-payment of your monthly activity fee unless you inform us that you are injured or ill. Where we have invoiced for items or collected payments, the Club will retain that information for 7 years.
Your data is not processed for any further purposes other than those detailed in this policy.
Your rights regarding your personal data
You have rights as an individual which you can exercise in relation to the information we hold about you. These include the right to:
- object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
- object to decisions being taken by automated means
- in certain circumstances, have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection regulations
You can read more about these rights at https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/is-my-information-being-handled-correctly/.
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, you have the right to request access to information about you that we hold. To make a request for your personal information, contact email@example.com.
Complaints or queries
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we ask that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact:
As a data subject you are not obliged to share your personal data with the Club. If you choose not to share your personal data with us we may not be able to register or administer your membership.